Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shameless plugs for my home biz(s)

Before I had my two youngest children, I used to dream about what a luxury it was for a mother to quit her job and stay at home with her children. I used to think about how nice it would be to have all of that free time! I knew that when I became a full time mother, my house would be immaculately clean, I would always be perfectly groomed and I would have plenty of time to foster friendships with other stay at home moms. Obviously, i was suffering from a severe case of "the grass is always greener..."

I was in for a HUGE wake-up call!

I resigned from my teaching job when my second son, Ryan, was born. It didn't take long for me to realize that being being a full-time mom was the most difficult job I would ever have. On most days, my home looks as if a bomb has gone off , and I consider myself lucky if I have showered and changed out of my pajamas by noon. Friends? I have some...and I try to be social, but it is really hard to maintain a social life. The other moms are just as crazy busy as I am, and by the time we have fed, bathed and put our kids to bed, neither my husband nor I have any desire to go out.

Don't get me wrong. I adore my children! I feel very blessed to have them and I love being able to spend so much time with them. But....
I missed having conversations with other adults. I missed having my "own" money and I missed the feeling of accomplishment that I got from working.

The answer, for me, was to start a home business, actually two. In November, I became an ambassador with Barefoot Books. In January, I took on a second business, Stella&Dot jewelry. They are both still in their infancy, and I have yet to make a profit from them, but with time and effort, they will be successful. I absolutely love the products and I think both companies show a great deal of promise. Am I crazy? Yes!! But if nothing else, becoming a mompreneur has allowed me to focus on something besides poopy diapers and boogers :)

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the new blog, Jen, and thanks for adding me to your blog roll. I will be looking forward to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen! I've been reading your blog and it was one of my inspirations for starting my own :)

    ReplyDelete